Improving the communication and collaboration efforts of businesses the world over, the reach of Microsoft’s SharePoint and Office 365 platforms stretches incredibly far. Such variability leads to many different instances of the platform from company to company: should you choose an on-premises deployment, hybrid, or move to the cloud? Should you gain immediate benefits from SharePoint out-of-the-box or take time to customize your intranet? The options are huge, and knowing you’ve made the best choice for your company isn’t always straightforward.
To understand how businesses are using and customizing their SharePoint environments in 2016, we at Rencore are currently gathering information for the State of SharePoint and Office 365 Development survey and we’d love to hear from you if you work in this community. Please note: The survey closes this Sunday, October 16th.
Take part today
Now in its second year, last year’s survey — which you can download here — produced some great insights about the community and how IT pros are customizing their Microsoft environments. Some key insights were:
- SharePoint 2013 is present in almost 75% of organizations, with 62% using Office 365 & SharePoint Online
- The most common issue respondents experienced with the SharePoint deployment was regarding performance, closely followed by maintenance
- 54% of organizations had upgraded their SharePoint environment in the last year (2014-2015)
- 24% of organizations are still using SharePoint 2007 and earlier for certain tasks
- Most customizations to SharePoint are Farm Solutions or Web Parts
- JQuery is the most popular third-party framework for developers — the go-to choice for 83%
- 25% of businesses don’t use any code analysis tools to check their customizations
- Only a quarter of organizations have a defined governance framework in place
Do any of those statistics sound familiar to you? Given the current rate of technology change, we’re interested to see the types of changes in SharePoint and Office 365 over the course of a year. Combining the results from both surveys should give a real look into the direction both SharePoint and Office 365 are heading, and what companies can expect in the future.
Add Your Own Experience
At Rencore our aim is to bring transparency to the Office 365 and SharePoint development process. By asking IT professionals like you to take part in this year’s survey, we hope to paint a picture of how the community is working, finding out best practices, common challenges, current trends, popular tools, changes in demographic, social habits, and much more.
By taking part in the 2016 survey, you’ll receive exclusive access to the industry report as soon as it goes live! You’ll also be entered into a prize drawing, where you’ll have a chance to win some cool prizes:
- 1 x Microsoft Band 2
- 1 x 3-day pass for the European SharePoint Conference 2016 in Vienna, Austria worth $1400
- 10 x $25 Amazon Gift Cards
- 1 x SPCAF Audit & Review Edition license
Share your SharePoint and Office 365 experience with us
With the current landscape for SharePoint development and customization changing fast, your input on how you and your organization are adapting is extremely valuable. If your job requires you to work with and manage SharePoint or Office 365 in some way, or if you’ve customized either your SharePoint or Office 365 environment (or both!), your insights would be extremely valuable. That includes:
- Developers and architects
- SharePoint administrators and power users
- Project managers
- IT leaders and CIOs
- Business users
600 Seconds or Less…
As SharePoint and Office 365 have evolved, so have expectations on developers, architects, IT pros, project managers, and CIOs. The skill sets you need are constantly evolving — be that developing for the cloud, offering mobile experiences to your customers or moving from server-side to client-side development.
This survey will gather the latest feedback and views from professionals just like you. Typically taking no more than 7-10 minutes, the results will provide a fantastic insight into how the community is using SharePoint and Office 365 in 2016.
We Value Your Insights
By filling in the 2016 SharePoint State of Development Survey, you’ll be helping boost our understanding of the realities "on the ground" for SharePoint and Office 365 professionals — gaining a real look into how companies are using the platform; to what extent and the inherent benefits. Whatever role you have in relation to SharePoint, your answers will be incredibly useful. In just 7-10 minutes you can put your name in the running for winning one of 15 amazing prizes!
Take part today, and help us paint the most accurate picture of the current state of SharePoint and Office 365 development.
Thank you, Matthias Einig
CEO & Microsoft MVP