When you're in Outlook and you are looking at an email, you may not know that there's a lot more going on than just an image of the person who sent the email…
You can either hover/click or double-click on the picture to do a whole lot more. If you hover or click, you'll see the area that I have circled below. If you double-click, you'll see an expanded summary of the person's profile:
Here are some of the things you can do and see from here:
1. Cartoon text icon - this starts a Lync chat with the person
2. Phone icon - this starts a call with the person
3. Movie camera icon - this will start a video chat
4. Envelope icon - this opens a new email addressed to them
Not everyone will see all the following options in every situation.
• Contact - see all of the contact information you have stored for that person
• Notes - a list of all the profile changes that have occurred over time
• Organization - a mini-org chart of the person's manager, along with the people who also report to that manager
• What's New - any updates from social media networks they belong to
• Membership - all the email distribution lists they belong to
If you see the Edit option, you can update the contact information that's stored in your address book for that person:
So… next time you see a person's profile picture, try learning a bit more about them, and use that as a shortcut to send an email or call them.